Based on Latin in promptu, "in readiness," from promptus, "prepared, ready."
1. Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.
2. Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation; extemporaneous:
a few impromptu remarks.
With little or no preparation; extemporaneously.
1. Something, such as a speech, that is made or done extemporaneously.
2. Music A short composition, especially for the piano, performed in an offhand or extemporized style.
3. An improvised composition or a piece suggesting spontaneity.